I have been anxiously awaiting the meeting with my oncologist. It started out with a big hug from my oncologist and my nurse. Then we chatted a lot about Wylee’s Christmas and the Lego City we are building in his room. I honestly wasn’t sure which way our discussion was going to go when it got down to cancer chat time.
My oncologist had a seat so we could have our discussion. He explained that, although the scan results were mixed, he felt good about the treatment I have been receiving. His suggestion is to continue with Avastin for another three months and then do another scan.
He could tell that I wasn’t visibly satisfied with this option. He went on to further explain why this was his recommendation. We discussed what my quality of life is like now versus when I am on the more intense chemo regimen. We discussed the fact that with Avastin I am able to maintain the level of activity I am accustomed to, without frequent hospital stays. We also discussed other options. Although he made it clear his preferred treatment method is to try the Avastin for another three months, ultimately, he left the decision in my hands and advised me to go home and talk it over to decide what I would move forward with.
My decision is three more months of Avastin. This isn’t a decision we made lightly. We are going to move forward with this treatment plan. The next step is, a scan in three months. My thinking is that if there is any growth or additional spots I want to move on to an aggressive chemo treatment regimen. We will cross that bridge if we come to it. Hopefully the Avastin does its job and we never have to worry about aggressive treatment again!
So, here’s to three more months of Avastin and hopefully no additional areas of concern!!!